Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Wyoming > Osage vicinity > Clay Spur Bentonite Plant & Camp, Office, Clay Spur Siding on Burlington Northern Railroad, Osage, Weston County, WY



B&W Photos
View Showing East Front And North Side Of Wood Frame And Stucco Office
HB1304334
View Showing East Front And North Side Of Wood Frame And Stucco Office
View Showing South Side Of Wood Frame And Stucco Office
HB1304335
View Showing South Side Of Wood Frame And Stucco Office
View Showing West Rear And South Side Of Wood Frame And Stucco Office
HB1304336
View Showing West Rear And South Side Of Wood Frame And Stucco Office


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Clay Spur Siding on Burlington Northern Railroad, Osage vicinity, WY

Find maps of Osage, WY


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER WY-23-J
Significance: The Clay Spur Bentonite Plant and Camp is associated with the early 20th century bentonite mining industry in Wyoming and the United States. The Clay Spur Bentonite District was the center of the pioneer Wyoming bentonite industry and remained the premier Wyoming producing district until reserves began to dwindle in the 1950s. The plant embodies the distinctive engineering technology of the bentonite industry. The camp also reflects early twentieth century company town architecture with simple buildings and floor plans that could be quickly and cheaply constructed and adapted to many different uses. South of the dwelling is a one-story wood frame office building, 44 feet east-west by 16.4 feet north-south, with a gable roof covered with asphalt shingles. The exterior walls are covered with stucco. The building rests on a concrete foundation. An internal brick chimney protrudes from the roof. There is an open leanto porch on the east elevation with a concrete deck. Windows are one over one-light double-hung units wood frames. The interior is divided into three main rooms. A later partition was added to divide the largest room north and south. The most westerly room contains a bath and a room where company records and building and machinery blueprints have been stored on shelves. The front yard has a wooden fence, and there is a flagpole and a "Baroid" company sign near the south elevation of the building. This was originally the company office and was built sometime prior to 1930. At some time after 1957, it was partially converted to a dwelling. There were originally three small bunkhouses on the east side of the main street at its north end. These bunkhouses were constructed sometime between 1930 and 1934 and were removed sometime after 1957.

Subjects
Office Buildings
Wooden Buildings


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW SHOWING EAST FRONT AND NORTH SIDE OF WOOD FRAME AND STUCCO OFFICE
2. VIEW SHOWING SOUTH SIDE OF WOOD FRAME AND STUCCO OFFICE
3. VIEW SHOWING WEST REAR AND SOUTH SIDE OF WOOD FRAME AND STUCCO OFFICE


Back to Osage vicinity, Wyoming