Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Wyoming

>

Osage vicinity

>

Clay Spur Bentonite Plant & Camp, Dwelling (2 Unit), Clay Spur Siding on Burlington Northern Railroad, Osage, Weston County, WY



B&W Photos

HB1304446
View Showing South Front Of Two-unit Dwelling

HB1304447
View Showing West Side Of Two-unit Dwelling


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Clay Spur Siding on Burlington Northern Railroad, Osage vicinity, WY

Find maps of Osage, WY


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER WY-23-Q
Significance: The Clay Spur Bentonite Plant and Camp is associated with the early 20th century bentonite mining industry in Wyoming and the United States. The Clay Spur Bentonite District was the center of the pioneer Wyoming bentonite industry and remained the premier Wyoming producing district until reserves began to dwindle in the 1950s. The plant embodies the distinctive engineering technology of the bentonite industry. The camp also reflects early twentieth century company town architecture with simple buildings and floor plans that could be quickly and cheaply constructed and adapted to many different uses. This two-unit dwelling is located on the east side of the main street of the camp. It is a one-story wood frame building (53.7 feet east-west by 26 feet north-south) with a gable roof covered with asphalt shingles. The exterior walls are covered with stucco. The building rests on a concrete foundation and has a partial basement with an outside entrance on the east elevation. There is a leanto roofed addition running the length of the building on the north elevation. The building faces south and has two entrances with concrete stoops. There is also an entrance on the east elevation. There are two internal brick chimneys protruding from the roof. Windows are one over one-light and one over two-light double-hung units with wood frames. There is a concrete sidewalk leading to all three entrances from the street. The interior consists of two apartments (east and west) with separate entrances. The west apartment has a living room, two bedrooms, a kitchen, a bath, and closets. The east apartment has a similar arrangement, but only one bedroom. This building was constructed between 1930 and 1934 and has always served as a two-apartment residence.

Subjects
Wooden Buildings
Double Houses


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW SHOWING SOUTH FRONT OF TWO-UNIT DWELLING
2. VIEW SHOWING WEST SIDE OF TWO-UNIT DWELLING


Back to Osage vicinity, Wyoming