Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Wyoming

>

Fort%252525252525252525252BWashakie

>

Shoshone Episcopal Mission, Wind River Indian Reservation, Fort Washakie, Fremont County, WY



B&W Photos

HB1301486
BWPhotos 174766


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Color Transparencies

Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Item Title


Location
Wind River Indian Reservation, Fort%252525252525252525252BWashakie, WY

Find maps of Fort%252525252525252525252BWashakie, WY


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS WY-54
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-26).
Building/structure dates: 1890 initial construction
Significance: The Shoshone School for Indian Girls was established through the cooperation of Reverend John Roberts and Chief Washakie of the Eastern Shoshone Indians. It was a facility of the Shoshone Episcopal Mission. The mission headquarters were first located in Wind River, then moved to Fort Washakie, and finally to the girl's boarding school. The grounds contain the main school building, chapel, and outbuildings, as well as two churches moved in from the previous mission sites.

Related Names
Roberts, Rev. John
Washakie, Chief


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Fort%252525252525252525252BWashakie, Wyoming