Fort Laramie vicinity>
North Platte River Bowstring Truss Bridge, Spanning North Platte River, Fort Laramie, Goshen County, WY
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning North Platte River, Fort Laramie vicinity, WY
Find maps of Fort Laramie, WY
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER WY-1
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N161).
Building/structure dates: 1875 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1961
Significance: The North Platte River Bowstring Truss Bridge is the first of its kind to be built in the then territory of Wyoming. It is also believed to be the first military bridge west of the Mississippi.
Iron Truss Bridges
King Bridge & Manufacturing Company
Stanton, Capt. William S.
Department Of The Army
Steele, W. R.
McDermott, John Dishon, Historian
Boucher, Jack, Photographer
Barrett, W. E., Photographer
Payne, Chris, Delineator
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. Bridge from north east.
2. view of bridge from west shore of North Platte River showing northwest side of bridge.
3. Looking southwest across bridge.
4. Looking northeast across bridge. New bridge visible in left center.
5. Arch and truss structure of northeast section of bridge.
6. View of north side showing top chord of bridge.
7. Similar view of WY-1-6.
8. View of fabricated piers and underside of bridge decking.
9. Connection of bridge support and bowstring truss.
10. Bridge support pier.
11. Manufactures mark.
12. Bridge from Northeast.
13. West end on bridge.
14. Looking east across bridge.
15. Eastern most section of bridge. Replacement bridge in background.
16. Bridge support pier, showing connection of trusses.
17. Connection of pier and top and bottom chords.
18. Underside of bridge decking showing stringers bracing and bottom chord.
19. Closeup view of bottom chord and timber cross beam.
20. Lateral bracing for truss.
21. Top chord and lateral bracing.
22. Manufactures mark and view of bracing connection with top chord.
23. Similar to WY-1-8.
24. VIEW FROM MODERN BRIDGE TO THE NORTH--LEVEL Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS05-B-1971-1001L. (8x10 NEGATIVE)
25. DIAGONAL VIEW FROM BANK TO NE--LEVEL Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS05-B-1971-1002L. (8x10 NEGATIVE)
26. DIAGONAL VIEW FROM BANK TO SE--LEVEL Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS05-B-1971-1003L. (8x10 NEGATIVE)
27. END VIEW OF BRIDGE FROM EAST--LEVEL Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS05-B-1971-1004L. (8x10 NEGATIVE)
28. DIAGONAL VIEW FROM BANK TO SW--LEVEL Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS05-B-1971-1005L. (8x10 NEGATIVE)
29. VIEW FROM NEW BRIDGE TO NORTH OF EASTERN SPAN--LEVEL Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HAER-GS05-B-1971-1006L. (8x10 NEGATIVE)
Back to Fort Laramie vicinity, Wyoming