Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

West Virginia

>

Wheeling

>

First Presbyterian Church, 1301 Chapline Street, Wheeling, Ohio County, WV



B&W Photos

HB1256157

HB1256158

HB1256159

HB1256160

HB1256161

HB1256162

HB1256163

HB1256164


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Color Transparencies

Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Item Title


Location
1301 Chapline Street, Wheeling, WV

Find maps of Wheeling, WV


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS WV-202
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-45).
Building/structure dates: 1825 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1836 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1854 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1871 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1885 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1892 subsequent work
Significance: This may be the oldest documented building in downtown Wheeling. Noah Zane deeded the land on which this Church stands "for the use, purpose and design of erecting a meeting house or church," in 1816. By 1825 a church was ready for occupancy. The existing portico, narthex and 54 feet of the sanctuary nearest Chapline Street are said to be surviving elements of the original edifice, although stylistic evidence indicates either rebuilding or extensive remodeling of the front portion during the remodeling done in 1854.

Subjects
Presbyterian Churches


Related Names
Hughes, Rev. James


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. EAST FRONT
2. GENERAL VIEW OF EAST FRONT
3. EAST FRONT FROM THE NORTHEAST
4. EAST FRONT FROM THE SOUTHEAST
5. A FIRST-STORY FRONT WINDOW
6. STAIRWAY IN NARTHEX
7. INTERIOR, LOOKING TOWARD CHANCEL
8. STAINED GLASS WINDOW IN EAST WALL


Back to Wheeling, West Virginia