Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

West Virginia

>

Red%2BSulphur%2BSprings

>

Red Sulphur Springs, Route 12, Red Sulphur Springs, Monroe County, WV



See 15 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB1269765
Photocopy Of Engraved Flyer (from The Collection Of Dr

HB1269766
Photocopy Of Advertisement (from The Collection Of Dr


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Route 12, Red%2BSulphur%2BSprings, WV

Find maps of Red%2BSulphur%2BSprings, WV


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS WV-120
Building/structure dates: 182 initial construction
Significance: One of the state's noted 19th century resorts, Red Sulphur was at one time considered second only to White Sulphur in the extent of its accommodations, which included a piazza 475' long connecting the various cottage rows. In spite of such amenities Red Sulphur was never considered as socially correct as its neighboring spas. During the Civil War, the Buildings served as a Confederate hospital. The resort was owned by Vice President Levi P. Morton at the turn of the century.

Subjects
Vacations
Spas


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Photocopy of engraved flyer (from the collection of Dr. Margaret Ballard, Union, West Virginia) H. Bartsch, engraver late 19th century AERIAL VIEW OF TOWN AND ADVERTISING SLOGANS
2. Photocopy of advertisement (from the collection of Dr. Margaret Ballard, Union, West Virginia) late 19th century AERIAL VIEW OF TOWN


Back to Red%2BSulphur%2BSprings, West Virginia