Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

West Virginia

>

Parsons%252525252Bvicinity

>

Parsons Nursery, Fernow Experimental Forest Residence, South side of U.S. Route 219, Parsons, Tucker County, WV



B&W Photos

HB1286662
View West, Front.

HB1286663
View East, Rear And Garage On Right

HB1286664
Main Floor, Living Room, Looking Southeast.

HB1286665
View West, Garage To Left, Residence To Right.

HB1286666
View South, Garage.

HB1286667
Photo Copy Of Photograph, (original Owned By Mary Gaudineer, Beckley, Wv, Copy At National Forest Office, Elkins, Wv), Don Gaudineer, 1934


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
South side of U.S. Route 219, Parsons%252525252Bvicinity, WV

Find maps of Parsons%252525252B, WV


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS WV-237-M
Significance: The Fernow Experimental Forest residence, built in 1934 by members of Camp Parsons Civilian Conservation Corps, was one of the original administrative buildings for the Fernow Experimental Forest Branch Station, a part of the Appalachian Forest Experimental Station, headquartered in Ashville, NC. The staff of the Experimental Forest studied watershed and timber management on the nearby Elk Lick Run watershed. Closed from 1941 until 1948, this building was reoccupied by the head of the local staff of the reorganized Northeastern Forest Experimental Station. In 1964, the name was again changed to the Parsons Timber and Watershed Laboratory. The Fernow Experimental Forest is the only experimental forest in the Monongahela National Forest.

Subjects
Houses


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW WEST, FRONT.
2. VIEW EAST, REAR AND GARAGE ON RIGHT. (see also WV-237-7, WV-237-9, WV-237-0-2)
3. MAIN FLOOR, LIVING ROOM, LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
4. VIEW WEST, GARAGE TO LEFT, RESIDENCE TO RIGHT.
5. VIEW SOUTH, GARAGE.
6. Photo copy of photograph, (original owned by Mary Gaudineer, Beckley, WV, copy at National Forest Office, Elkins, WV), Don Gaudineer, 1934. CONSTRUCTION OF FERNOW EXPERIMENTAL FOREST BUNKHOUSE AND GARAGE. (see also historic photograph WV-237-13)


Back to Parsons%252525252Bvicinity, West Virginia