Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

West Virginia

>

Martinsburg

>

Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Martinsburg West Roundhouse, East End of Race & Martin Streets, Martinsburg, Berkeley County, WV



B&W Photos

HB1272615
View Looking East Across Right-of-way Showing Overall View Of Shops Complex, Bell-cast Roof Of West Roundhouse Is Dominant In Center

HB1272616
View Looking Northeast.

HB1272617
Telephoto View Of Bell-cut Roof.

HB1272618
Detail View Of Interior Of Bell-cut Roof.

HB1272619
Detail View Of Connection Between Inlcined Columns, Bracketed Struts, And Short Column Carrying Cast-iron Roof Trusses.

HB1272620
Detail View Of Inclined Column And Brackets Supporting Lateral Struts.

HB1272621
Detail View Of Cast-iron Octagonal Columns And Cast-iron Trusses Supporting Shed Portion Of Roof.

HB1272622
Detail View Of Base Of Inclined, Cast-iron Column.

HB1272623
Interior View Of Walled-off Section Of Locomotive Work Bay Showing Master Scale.

HB1272624
View Of Coal-stove Used To Warm Work Station.


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
East End of Race & Martin Streets, Martinsburg, WV

Find maps of Martinsburg, WV


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER WV-1-A
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-4).
Building/structure dates: 1866 initial construction
Significance: West Roundhouse is a building in the former engine and machine shops complex erected by the B&O in Martinsburg beginning in 1849. Destroyed by Confederate troops in 1861, the existing shops date from 1866 and later. West Roundhouse was one of two identical buildings used for running repairs to locomotives. It is a sixteen-sided, brick-walled polygon covered by a bell-shaped roof over the locomotive turntable, with sixteen wedge-shaped work bays radiating from the turntable. What makes the building unique and architecturally distinctive is its total cast-iron frame of octagonal columns, struts and beams. It is one of the most significant cast-iron framed buildings in the United States.

Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW LOOKING EAST ACROSS RIGHT-OF-WAY SHOWING OVERALL VIEW OF SHOPS COMPLEX, BELL-CAST ROOF OF WEST ROUNDHOUSE IS DOMINANT IN CENTER. WEST-BOUND TRAIN COMES TOWARDS YOU.
2. VIEW LOOKING NORTHEAST.
3. TELEPHOTO VIEW OF BELL-CUT ROOF.
4. DETAIL VIEW OF INTERIOR OF BELL-CUT ROOF.
6. DETAIL VIEW OF CONNECTION BETWEEN INLCINED COLUMNS, BRACKETED STRUTS, AND SHORT COLUMN CARRYING CAST-IRON ROOF TRUSSES.
7. DETAIL VIEW OF INCLINED COLUMN AND BRACKETS SUPPORTING LATERAL STRUTS.
8. DETAIL VIEW OF CAST-IRON OCTAGONAL COLUMNS AND CAST-IRON TRUSSES SUPPORTING SHED PORTION OF ROOF.
9. DETAIL VIEW OF BASE OF INCLINED, CAST-IRON COLUMN.
10. INTERIOR VIEW OF WALLED-OFF SECTION OF LOCOMOTIVE WORK BAY SHOWING MASTER SCALE.
11. VIEW OF COAL-STOVE USED TO WARM WORK STATION.


Back to Martinsburg, West Virginia