Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

West Virginia

>

Martinsburg

>

Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Martinsburg Repair Shops, West Side of Tuscarora Creek Opposite East End of , Martinsburg, Berkeley County, WV



B&W Photos

HB1258319
Aerial View Of Shops Complex Looking East Showing West And East Roundhouses, Frog And Switch Shop, And Machine Shop.

HB1258320
View Looking North Up Right-of-way Showing Switching Substation And Station/hotel On West Side Of Tracks.

HB1258321
View Of Stone-walled Embankment Approaching Shops Complex

HB1258322
Detail View Of Culvert In Embankment Wall

HB1258323
View Of Stone-walled Embankment Looking In Opposite Direction As Wv-1-3

HB1258324
View Of Intersection Of Roadway Bridge With Railroad Embankment Wall

HB1258325
Detail View Of Pilaster On Embankment Wall

HB1258326
3/4 View Of 'triple Brick' House

HB1258327
3/4 View From Opposite Direction Of 'triple Brick' House

HB1258328
Interior View Of Second Floor Of 'triple Brick' House

HB1258329
Interior View Of Hallway In 'triple Brick' House


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
West Side of Tuscarora Creek Opposite East End of, Martinsburg, WV

Find maps of Martinsburg, WV


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER WV-1
Building/structure dates: 1849 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1962 demolished
Building/structure dates: 1866 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1870 subsequent work
Significance: Since the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company felt that the facilities at Sandy Hook, Maryland, were inadequate, in 1849, $35,000 was spent for construction of various structures at Martinsburg to replace Sandy Hook. Besides the central engine station, a brick engine house with a turntable in front and 11 stalls for locomotives, a brick engine shop with a smithy and stationary engine shed attached, and two coal sheds with depositories for wood, were built at this time. In 1852, large expenditures were deemed necessary for the acquisition of additional grounds to construct shops which the company required for its "prospective wants." In 1856, $11,555.69 was spent to widen the depot grounds and to construct the foundation for a new engine house. However, the Civil War interrupted plans to improve the facilities at Martinsburg.

Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. AERIAL VIEW OF SHOPS COMPLEX LOOKING EAST SHOWING WEST AND EAST ROUNDHOUSES, FROG AND SWITCH SHOP, AND MACHINE SHOP.
2. VIEW LOOKING NORTH UP RIGHT-OF-WAY SHOWING SWITCHING SUBSTATION AND STATION/HOTEL ON WEST SIDE OF TRACKS.
3. VIEW OF STONE-WALLED EMBANKMENT APPROACHING SHOPS COMPLEX. Photo taken in 1974.
4. DETAIL VIEW OF CULVERT IN EMBANKMENT WALL. Photo taken in 1974.
5. VIEW OF STONE-WALLED EMBANKMENT LOOKING IN OPPOSITE DIRECTION AS WV-1-3. Photo taken in 1974.
6. VIEW OF INTERSECTION OF ROADWAY BRIDGE WITH RAILROAD EMBANKMENT WALL. Photo taken in 1974.
7. DETAIL VIEW OF PILASTER ON EMBANKMENT WALL. Photo taken in 1974.
8. 3/4 VIEW OF 'TRIPLE BRICK' HOUSE. Photo taken in 1974.
9. 3/4 VIEW FROM OPPOSITE DIRECTION OF 'TRIPLE BRICK' HOUSE. Photo taken in 1974.
10. INTERIOR VIEW OF SECOND FLOOR OF 'TRIPLE BRICK' HOUSE. Photo taken in 1974.
11. INTERIOR VIEW OF HALLWAY IN 'TRIPLE BRICK' HOUSE. Photo taken in 1974.


Back to Martinsburg, West Virginia