Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

West Virginia

>

Hinton

>

Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad, Hinton Depot, Along New River near Greenbriar River, Hinton, Summers County, WV



Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
Along New River near Greenbriar River, Hinton, WV

Find maps of Hinton, WV


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER WV-43-A
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-25).
Building/structure dates: 1913 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1960 subsequent work
Significance: The extant passenger depot is the fourth structure built in Hinton for the C&O. It was erected following a 1913 fire that destroyed the 1891 brick depot. This reconstructed station was built in the style of a 1902 east end addition. It consists of a 3-story central block flanked by 2-story wings. Red brick is laid in a common American bond and slat shingles cover a hip roof. A small first floor outshoot was later added on the west side of the rear elevation to house a Union News office. In the 1960's two concrete block appendages were added to the rear of the structure.

Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Hinton, West Virginia