Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

West Virginia

>

Harpers%252525252525252525252BFerry

>

John Brown Fort, Shenandoah Street, Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, WV



See 27 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB1260020
General View Of Fort On Original Site (n

HB1260021
General View, East Elevation

HB1260022
Axial View, East Elevation

HB1260023
South (side) Elevation

HB1260024
Cupola

HB1260025
South Side Elevation As In Original Location

HB1260026
Photocopy Of Photograph (original In The Collection Of Baltimore And Ohio Railroad) Unknown, Photographer, November 1956 Perspective View Of East (front) And South Side

HB1260027

HB1260028

HB1260029

HB1260030

HB1260031

HB1260032

HB1260033


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Shenandoah Street, Harpers%252525252525252525252BFerry, WV

Find maps of Harpers%252525252525252525252BFerry, WV


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS WV-21-5
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-19).
Building/structure dates: 1848 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1892
Building/structure dates: 1895
Building/structure dates: 1910
Significance: This structure was built in 1848 by the government to house the fire engines and watchman's house for the U.S. Armory. In 1859, Abolitionist John Brown and his followers, having sought refuge in this building, surrendered to Robert E. Lee and a company of U.S. Marines after Brown's unsuccessful attempt to capture the Arsenal. The building was subsequently moved to the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago (1893) and then to the Murphy Farm in the Shenandoah Valley above Harpers Ferry. In 1909, the building was acquired by Storer College and relocated on that campus. The age of the various parts of the building cannot be authenticated.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
8. GENERAL VIEW OF FORT ON ORIGINAL SITE (n. d.) Photocopy by Jack Boucher, January 1961
9. General view, EAST ELEVATION
10. AXIAL VIEW, EAST ELEVATION
11. SOUTH (SIDE) ELEVATION
12. CUPOLA
13. SOUTH SIDE ELEVATION AS IN ORIGINAL LOCATION
14. Photocopy of photograph (Original in the collection of Baltimore and Ohio Railroad) Unknown, Photographer, November 1956 PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF EAST (FRONT) AND SOUTH SIDE


Back to Harpers%252525252525252525252BFerry, West Virginia