Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

West Virginia

>

Charleston

>

Glenwood, 800 Orchard Street, Charleston, Kanawha County, WV



B&W Photos

HB1265507
South Front, General View

HB1265508
South Front, Closer View

HB1265509
South Front And East End

HB1265510
Entrance Portico

HB1265511
Portico Column Bases

HB1265512
Front Entrance

HB1265513
First-floor Window, South Front

HB1265514
West End

HB1265515
North Gallery

HB1265516
Northeast Corner

HB1265517
Entrance Hall, Looking South

HB1265518
Entrance Hall, Showing Ceiling

HB1265519
Dining Room, Looking Northwest

HB1265520
Quarters, East Front Habs Wva, 20-char, 4a-1

HB1265521
Quarters, South End And Rear Habs Wva, 20-char, 4a-2

HB1265522
Quarters, North Room, Second Floor Habs Wva, 26-char, 4a-3


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Color Transparencies

Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Item Title


Location
800 Orchard Street, Charleston, WV

Find maps of Charleston, WV


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS WV-211
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-36).
National Register Number: 78002802
Significance: Glenwood was built in 1850-1852 in the Greek Revival style by William Preston for James Madison Laidley, a local notable, who named the house for a nearby deep rock-strewn glen cut by a stream where Matthews Avenue now runs. Glenwood is significant both as an original example of the best of Charleston's early houses and because it is associated with a number of important local personages, including its first two owners, James Madison Laidley and George W. Summers, who played major roles in the history of the Kanawha Valley and West Virginia. Glenwood was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1978 as the Laidley-Summers-Quarrier House.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. SOUTH FRONT, GENERAL VIEW
2. SOUTH FRONT, CLOSER VIEW
3. SOUTH FRONT AND EAST END
4. ENTRANCE PORTICO
5. PORTICO COLUMN BASES
6. FRONT ENTRANCE
7. FIRST-FLOOR WINDOW, SOUTH FRONT
8. WEST END
9. NORTH GALLERY
10. NORTHEAST CORNER
11. ENTRANCE HALL, LOOKING SOUTH
12. ENTRANCE HALL, SHOWING CEILING
13. DINING ROOM, LOOKING NORTHWEST
14. QUARTERS, EAST FRONT HABS WVA, 20-CHAR, 4A-1
15. QUARTERS, SOUTH END AND REAR HABS WVA, 20-CHAR, 4A-2
16. QUARTERS, NORTH ROOM, SECOND FLOOR HABS WVA, 26-CHAR, 4A-3


Back to Charleston, West Virginia