Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

West Virginia

>

Charles%252525252525252BTown%252525252525252Bvicinity

>

Piedmont, Charles Town, Jefferson County, WV



B&W Photos

HB1260258
BWPhotos 172263


Data Pages


Drawings


Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
Charles%252525252525252BTown%252525252525252Bvicinity, WV

Find maps of Charles%252525252525252BTown%252525252525252B, WV


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS WV-50
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-24).
Building/structure dates: 174 initial construction
Significance: The stone wing of Piedmont was built on land purchased from the "Crown" by Robert Worthington, a Quaker, in the early 1730's and was originally known as "Quarry Bank." The Georgian house was added by Dr. John Briscoe soon after the property was acquired by him in 1784. In has been in the same family ever since; the present owner being Miss Louise Briscoe. The brick used in the main house were brought from England and Holland as ballast. The block type wallpaper in the living room was made in Paris, France in 1806 by Dufour Freres and depicts scenes from the travels of Telemachus.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Charles%252525252525252BTown%252525252525252Bvicinity, West Virginia