Barrackville Covered Bridge, Spanning Buffalo Creek on Pike Street , Barrackville, Marion County, WV
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Buffalo Creek on Pike Street, Barrackville, WV
Find maps of Barrackville, WV
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER WV-8
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-13).
Building/structure dates: 1853 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1872 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1934 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1975 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1999 subsequent work
Significance: The Barrackville Covered Bridge was built in 1853 as part of the Fairmont & Wheeling Turnpike. It is architecturally significant as an outstanding example of a Burr arch-truss, a system patented by Theodore Burr in 1817. It is one of three surviving examples of the work of Lemuel Chenowith, a prolific West Virginia builder. // Built as part of Virginia's network of turnpikes linking the Tidewater to the Trans-Allegheny regions, this example of the Burr truss demonstrates the high level of craftsmanship and knowledge of contemporary engineering design that went into many covered bridges.
Cunningham, R. I.
Short, C. A.
Orders Construction And Allegheny Restoration Work
Love, Frederick R., Field Team
Flory, Patrick A., Field Team
Freeman, R. Belmont, Field Team
Garrick, Wayne, Field Team
Bennett, Lola, Historian
Lowe, Jet, Photographer
Zembala, Dennis M., Historian
Barrett, WIlliam, Photographer
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. William E. Barrett, Photographer, November 1972. GENERAL VIEW LOOKING WEST.
2. William E. Barrett, Photographer, November 1972. THREE-FOURTHS VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
3. William E. Barrett, Photographer, November 1972. SOUTH PORTAL LOOKING NORTH.
4. William E. Barrett, Photographer, November 1972. DETAIL: CONNECTION OF VERTICAL TO ARCH RIBS BELOW DECK.
5. William E. Barrett, Photographer, November 1972. DETAIL: JOINT BETWEEN TRUSS AND ABUTMENT.
6. William E. Barrett, Photographer, 1978. 220 PORTRAIT FROM HILL AND INCLUDING RR.
7. William E. Barrett, Photographer, 1978. 120 ANGLE BROADSIDE VIEW, INCLUDING LITTLE WINDOWS.
8. William E. Barrett, Photographer, 1978. 15 ABUTMENT DETAIL UNDER BRIDGE, RR SIDE.
9. William E. Barrett, Photographer, 1978. INTERIOR, TRUSS DETAIL AND AREA.
CONTEXTUAL VIEW FROM SOUTH, LOOKING NORTH.
SOUTH PORTAL. NOTE PROJECTING PEDIMENT AND PILASTER MOLDING ON OUTER FACE OF ENDPOST.
PERSPECTIVE, LOOKING WEST. BRIDGE CLAD IN CLAPBOARD SIDING TO ABOUT 2’ BELOW THE EAVES. STANDING-SEAM METAL ROOFING COVERS GABLE ROOF.
PERSPECTIVE, EAST ELEVATION, LOOKING SOUTHSOUTHWEST.
PERSPECTIVE, FROM NORTHWEST. NOTE HOW ARCH SPRINGS FROM STONE SKEWBACKS ON FACEWALL OF ABUTMENTS.
NORTH ABUTMENT. NOTE RAILROAD STIFFENERS, TRUNNELS, AND DIAGONAL FLOOR BEAMS WITH DIAGONAL FLOORING.
DETAIL, BASE OF ARCH.
CENTER BEARING, CENTER OF ARCH, EAST PANEL.
VIEW SOUTH INTERIOR.
PANEL DETAIL, NORTHWEST CORNER.
PERSPECTIVE, EAST ELEVATION, LOOKING SOUTH-SOUTHWEST.
Back to Barrackville, West Virginia