Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Wisconsin

>

Ripon

>

Republican Schoolhouse, Second & Elm Streets, Ripon, Fond du Lac County, WI



B&W Photos

HB1236361
BWPhotos 170187


Data Pages


Drawings


Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
Second & Elm Streets, Ripon, WI

Find maps of Ripon, WI


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS WI-15
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-16).
Building/structure dates: 1853 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1908
Significance: This little structure was built for school house purposes. In it was held a meeting which was destined to be of great historical significance. This was the one at which the Republican Party was founded. This meeting of the early day politicians and other interested folk was held in this structure on March 20th, 1854. It is of interest to recall that the lot on which the school house was first placed was donated by a Mr. Alvan E. Bovay, who also had the honor of giving the name of the new political party.

Related Names
Pratt & Atkins
Republican Party


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Ripon, Wisconsin