Public Service Building, 231 West Michigan Street, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, WI
Photo Caption Pages
231 West Michigan Street, Milwaukee, WI
Find maps of Milwaukee, WI
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS WI-275
Building/structure dates: 1905 initial construction
Significance: When opened in 1905, this building of the Milwaukee Electric Railway and Light Co. housed waiting rooms and terminal facilities with eleven tracks passing through the building. At its height, the system of electric railways served the entire city of Milwaukee, with interurban lines as well. The last interurban line was abandoned in 1951, and the city's last streetcar was discontinued in 1958.
Esser, Herman J.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. NORTH (PRINCIPAL) FRONT.
2. SOUTH (REAR) SIDE.
3. DETAIL OF MAIN ENTRANCE.
4. DETAIL OF MEDALLION, MAIN ENTRANCE.
Back to Milwaukee, Wisconsin