Public Library & Museum, 814 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, WI
814 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI
Find maps of Milwaukee, WI
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS WI-270
Building/structure dates: 1899
Significance: This stately Neo-Renaissance building was designed by the prominent Milwaukee architectural firm of Ferry and Clas, winners of a national competition for its design. Designated a Milwaukee Landmark in 1969, this building was conceived in the architectural climate created by the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago. Still serving as the county's central library, the building remains one of Milwaukee's most monumental public structures.
Ferry, George Bowman
Clas, Alfred C.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Milwaukee, Wisconsin