Milwaukee Veterans Administration Medical Center, Building No. 47, 5000 West National Avenue, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, WI
See 24 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
5000 West National Avenue, Milwaukee, WI
Find maps of Milwaukee, WI
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS WI-303-B
Significance: Building 47 is a two story rectangular white clapboard house with an attic and full basement. This residence as well as all the residences in the Historic District were for the Northwest Branch National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers indicative of a complete self-contained community. In addition, they are an example of the life style of the top staff at that time. Military concept of staff housing was reflected in this quarters. The size of the quarters building, that of a multiple bedroom structure demonstrates a family size dwelling. Accordingly, they are an example of residential rather than institutional construction. The building had been used as a residence for its duration for government employees until June 15, 1978. It was originally used for the Treasurer's Quarters. It was later used for the Chief Medical Officer in 1935.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. EAST FRONT EXTERIOR
2. SOUTH SIDE EXTERIOR
3. WEST BACK EXTERIOR
4. NORTH SIDE EXTERIOR
5. PHOTOGRAPHIC COPY OF BASEMENT, FIRST AND SECOND FLOOR PLANS (ARCHITECTURAL)
6. PHOTOGRAPHIC COPY OF ELEVATION PLANS
Back to Milwaukee, Wisconsin