Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Wisconsin

>

Milwaukee

>

Iron Block, 205 East Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, WI



See 25 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB1234464

HB1234465

HB1234466

HB1234467

HB1234468

HB1234469

HB1234470

HB1234471

HB1234472

HB1234473


Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
205 East Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI

Find maps of Milwaukee, WI


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS WI-251
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-37).
Building/structure dates: 1861 initial construction
Significance: The Iron Block is notable as one of Milwaukee's most prominent early commercial buildings. It is one of a small number of pre-Civil War structures remaining in the central business district and is the city's chief example of the use of cast-iron for a building's facade. The architect, George H. Johnson, was an English-born builder-architect who managed Daniel Badger's Architectural Iron Works company in New York.

Related Names
Johnson, George H.
Sibley, D. D.


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Milwaukee, Wisconsin