Evangelische Lutheran St. Johanneskirche, 804 West Vliet Street, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, WI
See 24 maps of this location
804 West Vliet Street, Milwaukee, WI
Find maps of Milwaukee, WI
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS WI-320
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-49).
Building/structure dates: 1889 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1909 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1919 subsequent work
Significance: On 4 December 1848, a group of German Lutheran families led by Pastor Ludwig Dulitz joined forces and started Evangelische Luth. St. Johanneskirche, St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church. In 1850, the Old Trinity Episcopal Church on the of 4th and Prairie (Highland), was bought and dedicated along with a school building. As their membership increased, they expressed interest in joining the Missouri Synod; this request was denied because there was already an affiliate in the vicinity...
Schnetzky, H. Paul
Liebert, Eugene R.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Milwaukee, Wisconsin