Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Wisconsin

>

Eau Claire

>

Phoenix Manufacturing Company, Forest & Wisconsin Streets, Eau Claire, Eau Claire County, WI



See 56 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB1239007
South Front Of 1907 Machine Shop

HB1239008
Perspective View Of Northeast Corner Of 1907 Machine Shop

HB1239009
Detail Of Door Of 1907 Machine Shop, Facing South

HB1239010
Perspective View Of 1875 Foundry, Original Machine Shop And 1907 Machine Shop

HB1239011
Perspective View Of 1875 Foundry And Original Machine Shop

HB1239012
West Front Of 1875 Foundry

HB1239013
Detail Of Window And Door Openings Of 1875 Original Machine Shop

HB1239014
Interior View Of 1907 Machine Shop Showing Overhead Crane And Crane Tracks

HB1239015
Detail Of Overhead Crane In 1907 Machine Shop

HB1239016
Interior View Of 1875 Machine Shop Showing Overhead Crane And Roof Truss Systfem


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Forest & Wisconsin Streets, Eau Claire, WI

Find maps of Eau Claire, WI


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER WI-10
Building/structure dates: 1875 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1907 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1952 subsequent work
National Register Number: NR
Significance: The Phoenix Manufacturing Company is an architecturally significant property, providing the city's most intact example of industrial architecture. The two stone structures, initially used as the firm's foundry and machine shop, represent a method of construction and illustrate a type of structure used by manufacturing concerns in the nineteenth century. The massive brick edifice attached to these buildings is a recognizable industrial structure characterized by a monitor roof and large segmental arch openings, both features providing light to the interior work area.

Subjects
Fires
Brick Buildings
Stone Buildings


Related Names
Graham, Hiram P.
Tolles, Robert
Tolles, Charles
W. H. Hobbs Supply


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. SOUTH FRONT OF 1907 MACHINE SHOP
2. PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF NORTHEAST CORNER OF 1907 MACHINE SHOP. VIEW FACING SOUTHWEST
3. DETAIL OF DOOR OF 1907 MACHINE SHOP, FACING SOUTH
4. PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF 1875 FOUNDRY, ORIGINAL MACHINE SHOP AND 1907 MACHINE SHOP. VIEW FACING NORTHWEST
5. PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF 1875 FOUNDRY AND ORIGINAL MACHINE SHOP. VIEW FACING NORTHEAST
6. WEST FRONT OF 1875 FOUNDRY
7. DETAIL OF WINDOW AND DOOR OPENINGS OF 1875 ORIGINAL MACHINE SHOP. VIEW FACING EAST
8. INTERIOR VIEW OF 1907 MACHINE SHOP SHOWING OVERHEAD CRANE AND CRANE TRACKS. VIEW FACING NORTH
9. DETAIL OF OVERHEAD CRANE IN 1907 MACHINE SHOP. VIEW FACING NORTH
10. INTERIOR VIEW OF 1875 MACHINE SHOP SHOWING OVERHEAD CRANE AND ROOF TRUSS SYSTFEM. VIEW FACING WEST


Back to Eau Claire, Wisconsin