Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Wisconsin

>

Beloit vicinity

>

Turtleville Iron Bridge, Spanning Turtle Creek, on Lathers Road, Beloit, Rock County, WI



B&W Photos

HB1237982
View, Looking Northeast, Showing West Side Of Bridge

HB1237983
View, Looking North, Showing South Portal

HB1237984
View, Looking North, Showing South Portal

HB1237985
View, Looking Southeast, Showing Bottom Chord Intersection, Observed Head On

HB1237986
Detail View, Looking West, Of Stone Abutment On North Side Of Turtle Lake

HB1237987
View Of Elevation, North End, Showing Bridgeplate, Looking South

HB1237988
Oblique View Of Bridge, Looking Southwest

HB1237989
View Of Bridge From Water Level, Looking Southwest


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
on Lathers Road, Beloit vicinity, WI

Find maps of Beloit, WI


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER WI-4
Building/structure dates: 1887 initial construction
National Register Number: NR
Significance: The Turtleville Iron Bridge carries Lather Road 140 feet, from abutment face to abutment face, across Turtle Creek. It was built in 1887 by the Wisconsin Bridge and Iron Company, and is a Pratt through-truss with pin connections and bottom chord eye-bars. The wooden flooring, covered with an asphalt road bed, is supported by riveted stringers and floor beams. Triangular nameplates are affixed atop each portal. Metallographic examination of three specimens from a post, a counter rod, and a hip vertical, conducted by the Beloit Foundry Company, revealed a typical microstructure of true wrought iron and iron silicate slag. In 1981 the bridge was in fair condition, covered with a layer of oxidation. It has since been scheduled for demolition. The Wisconsin Bridge and Iron Company was founded in 1870 under the name 'Weinhagen Brothers, Engineers.' Its name was changed in 1880.

Subjects
Civil Engineering
Bridge Construction
Iron Truss Bridges


Related Names
Wisconsin Bridge & Iron Company
Town Of Turtle
Beloit Foundry Company
Weinhagen Brothers


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW, LOOKING NORTHEAST, SHOWING WEST SIDE OF BRIDGE
2. VIEW, LOOKING NORTH, SHOWING SOUTH PORTAL
3. VIEW, LOOKING NORTH, SHOWING SOUTH PORTAL
4. VIEW, LOOKING SOUTHEAST, SHOWING BOTTOM CHORD INTERSECTION, OBSERVED HEAD ON
5. DETAIL VIEW, LOOKING WEST, OF STONE ABUTMENT ON NORTH SIDE OF TURTLE LAKE
6. VIEW OF ELEVATION, NORTH END, SHOWING BRIDGEPLATE, LOOKING SOUTH
7. OBLIQUE VIEW OF BRIDGE, LOOKING SOUTHWEST
8. VIEW OF BRIDGE FROM WATER LEVEL, LOOKING SOUTHWEST


Back to Beloit vicinity, Wisconsin