Fort Lawton, Quartermaster Stables, Discovery Park, Seattle, King County, WA
See 29 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Discovery Park, Seattle, WA
Find maps of Seattle, WA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS WA-150-U
Building/structure dates: 1908 initial construction
Significance: One of the first of the original post buildings to be completed with electricity and a concrete foundation. Converted to warehouse use sometime after 1937. Completed July, 1908, from QMGO Plan No. 212. Original cost: $7,290. A two-story frame structure on a concrete foundation. Dimensions: 33' x 112'. Original slate-shingled gable roof with two ventilators, open eaves and scrolled rafter ends. Lapped cedar siding. Original four-light sash intact. Ground floor is 2" plank posted above the original clay, brick and concrete floor. Shiplap wall covering on ground floor, framing exposed elsewhere. Loft has two metal-lined grain rooms, and two loading doors with hay loading beams. Had electricity from outset, no heat. Loading doors added east elevation when floor was raised, south end door closed with siding (probably ca. 1940).
Military Art & Science
U.S. Department Of The Army
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. EAST SIDE AND SOUTH (PRINCIPAL) FRONT, TAKEN FROM SOUTHEAST (8'x10' neg.)
2. SOUTH (PRINCIPAL) FRONT AND WEST SIDE, TAKEN FROM SOUTHWEST '
3. DETAIL, ATTIC AND LOFT FRAMING (5' x 7' neg.)
Back to Seattle, Washington