Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Washington

>

Seattle

>

Fort Lawton, Double Officers Quarters, Discovery Park, Seattle, King County, WA



See 29 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB1215769
Southeast Side And Southwest (principal) Front, Taken From Southwest

HB1215770
Northwest And Northeast (rear) Sides, Taken From Northeast


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Discovery Park, Seattle, WA

Find maps of Seattle, WA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS WA-150-L
Building/structure dates: 1904 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1940 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1908 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1937 subsequent work
Significance: Designed to house two lieutenants' families, this duplex is identical in plan to Officers Quarters #640, #676, and #678. Completed March 31, 1904, from QMGO Plan No. 120-A. Original cost: $13,500. Dimensions of main body: 56' x 30', rear kitchen wings: 14' x 18'. Two and one-half story and basement duplex of frame construction on sandstone and brick foundation. Lapped cedar siding. Asphalt shingles replaced original slate shingles on a cross-gable roof. A central chimney serves four interior fireplaces. Six-over-two, and two-over-two, double-hung sash in place, with "Palladian" and elliptical windows in attic. Full-width front porch with turned balusters and standing seam roof. Mirror image interior with side hall plans. Coal-fired boiler for steam heat removed in 1940. Electric lights replaced mineral oil lamps ca. 1908. Maple flooring installed on first floor in 1937. Back porches partially enclosed.

Subjects
Military Art & Science
Officers' Quarters
Wooden Buildings


Related Names
U.S. Department Of The Army


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. SOUTHEAST SIDE AND SOUTHWEST (PRINCIPAL) FRONT, TAKEN FROM SOUTHWEST
2. NORTHWEST AND NORTHEAST (REAR) SIDES, TAKEN FROM NORTHEAST


Back to Seattle, Washington