Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Washington

>

Seattle

>

Fort Lawton, Double Barracks, Discovery Park, Seattle, King County, WA



See 29 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB1215655
East (principal) Front, Taken From East (8' X 10' Negative)

HB1215656
North Side And East Front, Taken From Northeast '

HB1215657
West (rear) And North Sides, Taken From Northwest '

HB1215658
West (rear) Side, Taken From West '

HB1215659
East Front And South Side, Taken From Southeast '

HB1215660
Detail Of Sandstone Foundation, Southwest Corner (5' X 7' Negative)


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Discovery Park, Seattle, WA

Find maps of Seattle, WA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS WA-150-E
Building/structure dates: 1904 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1910 subsequent work
Significance: The second of the two-company barracks constructed on the post. Defines the southeast end of the oval parade ground opposite Officers Row. Completed March 31, 1904, from QMGO Plan No. 75-H. Original cost: $45,631. Two and one-half story frame structure on rock-faced sandstone and brick foundation. H-shape in plan, main building dimensions: 151' x 39', north and south wings: 39' x 43'. Lapped cedar siding. Asphalt shingles on gabled roof replace original slate shingles. Full-width front porch has Tuscan columns, pipe railing, and asphalt shingle roofing. Two-over-two double-hung sash and "Palladian" windows in attic gables. Gravity system ventilators along ridges of wings. Mirror image interior designed to house two companies. Some first floor embossed metal ceilings remain exposed. Electricity replaced mineral oil lighting ca. 1910, two coal-fired steam boilers in basement now converted to oil, north wing considerably refinished and partitioned (served as headquarters until 1975), kitchens completely dismantled, over 50 percent of original metal or plaster ceilings covered with acoustical tile or gypsum board, original wooden floors covered with composition tile.

Subjects
Military Art & Science
Barracks
Wooden Buildings


Related Names
U.S. Department Of The Army


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. EAST (PRINCIPAL) FRONT, TAKEN FROM EAST (8' x 10' negative)
2. NORTH SIDE AND EAST FRONT, TAKEN FROM NORTHEAST '
3. WEST (REAR) AND NORTH SIDES, TAKEN FROM NORTHWEST '
4. WEST (REAR) SIDE, TAKEN FROM WEST '
5. EAST FRONT AND SOUTH SIDE, TAKEN FROM SOUTHEAST '
6. DETAIL OF SANDSTONE FOUNDATION, SOUTHWEST CORNER (5' x 7' negative)


Back to Seattle, Washington