Fort Lawton, Discovery Park, Seattle, King County, WA
See 29 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Discovery Park, Seattle, WA
Find maps of Seattle, WA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS WA-150
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-36, FN-37).
Building/structure dates: 1899 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1904 subsequent work
Significance: Fort Lawton, Washington, Seattle's only army post, was carved out of a dense conifer forest on Magnolia Bluff in 1898-1900. Spurred on by their chamber of commerce, Seattle citizens donated some seven hundred acres of prime land for the post, in the hope of improving their local economy. In its early years, Fort Lawton remained modest in size and influence, occupied by a small garrison of infantry soldiers. During World War II, the post became the second largest point of embarkation for troops on the West Coast. Architecturally, Fort Lawton reflects military interpretations of turn-of-the-century American architectural styles. The frame buildings at Fort Lawton are based on standard quartermaster general plans and suggest influences of the shingle style, Georgian revival, and Jeffersonian classicism. The historic core of the post includes twenty-five pre-1910 buildings situated around an oval parade ground. The sensitive lay-out of structures, open space and drives around the post takes full advantage of the site's spectacular views. After seventy-five years of military use, a large portion of Fort Lawton was transferred to the City of Seattle in the 1970s for the creation of a public park.
U.S. Department Of The Army
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. GENERAL VIEW, TAKEN FROM EAST. GUARD HOUSE (Bldg. No. 759) ON EXTREME LEFT, QUARTERMASTER STOREHOUSE AND OFFICE (Bldg. No. 757) IN CENTER, QUARTERMASTER STOREHOUSE (Bldg. No. 915) ON EXTREME RIGHT, STABLES (Bldg. Nos. 916 and 917) BEHIND AND SLIGHTLY TO LEFT OF Bldg. No. 915.
2. QUARTERMASTER STOREHOUSE (Bldg. No. 915) IN FOREGROUND WITH STABLES (Bldg. Nos. 916 and 917) BEHIND AND TO LEFT OF Bldg. No. 915, TAKEN FROM SOUTHEAST.
3. DOUBLE OFFICERS QUARTERS, TAKEN FROM NORTHWEST. Bldg. No. 644 ON LEFT, Bldg. No. 642 CENTER, Bldg. No. 640 ON RIGHT.
4. DOUBLE NCO QUARTERS, TAKEN FROM SOUTH. Bldg. No. 903 IS FRAME STRUCTURE ON RIGHT, Bldg. No. 905 IN CENTER, Bldg. No. 907 TO LEFT OF Bldg. No. 905.
5. VIEW TAKEN FROM SOUTHWEST. Bldg. Nos. 733, 734 ON LEFT, Bldg. No. 417 ON RIGHT.
6. PARADE GROUNDS, TAKEN FROM NORTH.
7. HOSPITAL. ONE OF THE EARLIEST BUILDINGS COMPLETED ON POST. THIS STRUCTURE IS EXCLUDED FROM THE DISTRCIT BECAUSE OF ITS ALTERATIONS, BUT IS INCLUDED IN THIS LISTING BECAUSE IT RELATES TO THE DISTRICT HISTORICALLY.
Back to Seattle, Washington