Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Washington

>

Renton

>

Longacres, 1621 Southwest Sixteenth Street, Renton, King County, WA



See 28 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB1222411

HB1222412

HB1222413

HB1222414

HB1222415

HB1222416

HB1222417

HB1222418

HB1222419

HB1222420

HB1222421

HB1222422

HB1222423

HB1222424

HB1222425

HB1222426

HB1222427

HB1222428

HB1222429

HB1222430

HB1222431

HB1222432

HB1222433

HB1222434

HB1222435

HB1222436


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
1621 Southwest Sixteenth Street, Renton, WA

Find maps of Renton, WA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS WA-201
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N56).
Significance: Longacres was the premier thoroughbred race track of the Pacific Northwest from its opening meet in 1933, until its final season of live racing in 1992. For nearly sixty years, Longacres was owned and operated by three generations of a single prominent Seattle family, the Gottstein-Alhadeffs. Famed theatre architect B. Marcus Priteca designed the original racecourse facilities and personally supervised all improvements to the site through the 1960s. Horses and jockeys of national renown set world racing records at Longacres, widely acknowledged as one of the fastest and safest tracks in the country. For its high standards of management, its scenic beauty, and its family-oriented atmosphere, Longacres enjoyed a nationwide reputation.

Subjects
Racetracks (horse Racing)
Horse Racing


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Aerial plan view of Longacres in 1936. (This photograph is an 8x10' enlargement made from a 4x5' two-step duplicate negative. The original negative is in the collection of The Boeing Co., Renton, WA. Photograph by Walker and Associates, Seattle, WA.)
2. Aerial plan view of Longacres in January 1991. (This photograph is an 8x10' enlargement made from a 4x5' two-step duplicate negative. The original color negative is in the collection of The Boeing Co., Renton, WA. Photograph by Nies Mapping Group, Bellevue, WA.)
3. West entrance road and railroad trestle. Note second trestle in background and tower atop Original Grandstand. Camera pointed ESE. (May 1993)
4. Road and west side of grandstands and adjacent buildings, including (left-to-right) the Second Grandstand, Original Grandstand, and Mezzanine addition to Clubhouse. One-story buildings are Catering Office and Administrative Office. Camera pointed SE. (May 1993)
5. View looking NW showing all major buildings on grandstand side of track, beginning on left with Jockey Building, followed by the Paddock Club, Clubhouse, Original Grandstand, Second Grandstand and North Grandstand. (August 1993)
6. Track. View to north on grandstand side. Edge of Paddock Club is at far left, followed by the south addition to the Clubhouse, Original Grandstand, Second Grandstand, and North Grandstand. (July 1993)
7. Track. View to south on grandstand side. On right is south part of Second Grandstand, followed by Original Grandstand, Clubhouse, and Paddock Club. (May 1993)
8. Finish line, marked by white poles, as viewed from infield tote board. Shown are all the best locations for viewing the finish line, including the Clubhouse on the left and Original Grandstand on the right. For a similar view taken in 1939 by a photographer for the Seattle Post-Intelligencer newspaper, see photo WA-201-24. (August 1993)
9. Winner's Circle and Finish Line viewed from roof. (July 1993)
10. Track infield viewed from roof. Camera pointed NE. Infield road in upper right leads to barns. North Tote Board is visible on left. In distance is construction of Boeing Customer Services Training Center. Part of a panorama with photos WA-201-11 and WA-201-12. (July 1993)
11. Track infield viewed from roof. Camera pointed E. Tote board is covered by a tarp. White pole in foreground marks the finish line. Part of a panorama with photos WA-201-10 and WA-201-12. (July 1993)
12. Track infield viewed from roof. Camera pointed SE. Lombardy poplar trees line track in distance. Benches in foreground are in front of the Clubhouse. Part of a panorama with photos WA-201-10 and WA-201-11. (July 1993)
13. Infield road in SW part of infield. Tower in distance is the '7/8 Mile' observation tower. See photo WA-201-14. In distance on left is the Jockey Building. (May 1993)
14. The '7/8 Mile' observation tower in SW corner of track was used for videotaping races. Tower is not shown on site plan. (August 1993)
15. The '3/8 Mile' observation tower in NE corner of track was used for videotaping races. Tower is not shown on site plan. (September 1992)
16. Main Tote Board. West side. (HABS negative is a duplicate negative made from original in the collection of John Stamets, Seattle, WA.) (Sept. 1992)
17. North Tote Board as viewed from the North Grandstand. (May 1993)
18. Detail of railing in NE part of track. Camera pointed NE. (September 1992)
19. Training track located to the east of the barn area. Camera pointed NNW. (March 1993)
20. Lombardy poplar trees in parking lot in south section of park. Camera pointed N. (August 1993)
21. Photocopy of architectural drawing. (Original is in the collection of Richard F. McCann, Pasadena, CA.) Block Plan, Wing Additions. Dated November 3, 1933. Race Course for Mr. Joseph Gottstein, Washington Jockey Club. B. Marcus Priteca.
22. Photocopy of architectural drawing. (Original is in the collection of Richard F. McCann, Pasadena, CA.) Site Plan (Untitled). Dated May 3, 1934. Race Course for Mr. Joseph Gottstein, Washington Jockey Club. B. Marcus Priteca.
23. Photocopy of photograph. (Original is No. PI-23482 in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer Collection at the Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI), Seattle, WA. A print from the original negative can be ordered from MOHAI.) A 1936 or 1937 view looking NNW at Clubhouse on left and Grandstand in center. Broadcast room (observation tower) atop grandstand is same as when built in 1933. On right in distance is the bleacher section that later evolved into the Second Grandstand.
24. Photocopy of photograph. (Original is No. PI-23499 in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer Collection at the Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI), Seattle, WA. A print from the original negative can be ordered from MOHAI.) A 1939 view of the finish line as viewed from the infield steward's booth. Original Clubhouse is on the left. On Grandstand (right) note the addition to broadcast room and structural connections between Clubhouse and Grandstand. A similar view taken in 1993 is shown in photo WA-201-8.
25. Photocopy of photograph. (Original is No. PI-23505 in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer Collection at the Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI), Seattle, WA. A print from the original negative can be ordered from MOHAI.) A 1940 view looking SSW at track at Clubhouse in center and Original Grandstand on right. Note addition of small announcer's booth on Grandstand roof and glazed enclosure at south end of Grandstand seating.
26. Photocopy of photograph. (Original is No. PI-23488 in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer Collection at the Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI), Seattle, WA. A print from the original negative can be ordered from MOHAI.) A 1937 view of the finish line viewed from the grandstand. Note original timer's stand (infield steward stand), original 'tote' board, and picket fencing.


Back to Renton, Washington