Outlook Irrigation District, Pumping Plant & Woodstave Pipe, Hudson Road & Snipes Lateral Road, Outlook, Yakima County, WA
Photo Caption Pages
Hudson Road & Snipes Lateral Road vicinity, Outlook, WA
Find maps of Outlook, WA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER WA-10
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-2).
Building/structure dates: 1915 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1939 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1977 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1979 subsequent work
Significance: The Outlook Irrigation District (OID) is part of one of the earliest, largest, and most successful federal reclamation projects, the Yakima Project. The OID is part of the Sunnyside Division of the Yakima Project, which was authorized on December 12, 1905. The Sunnyside Division is unique in the Yakima Project for its use of hydraulic turbine pumping plants at drops on the Sunnyside Main Canal, such as at Outlook. The development of irrigation systems in the Yakima Valley opened up large expanses of arid land for development and shaped the economic and social history of the region, resulting in the emergence of the Yakima Valley as a premier farming region nationally. The pumping plants, with their associated discharge pipelines, are considered to be interesting engineering features of the Yakima Project. The pumping plants represent an early and ingenious method for irrigating ground above the elevation of the Sunnyside Canal.
Treadwell, H. A.
Bureau Of Reclamation
Charles C. Moore Company
Pacific Tank & Pipe Company
Kukas, Roger, Photographer
Simmons, Alexy, Historian
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. PUMPING PLANT, NORTHEAST AND NORTHWEST SIDES; SOUTH END OF DISCHARGE PIPE
2. EAST SIDE OF PUMPING PLANT; SOUTH END OF CONTINUOUS WOODSTAVE PIPE
3. DETAIL OF WOODSTAVE PIPE (Tenths of a foot scale in photograph)
4. Photocopy of Historic Construction Photograph. PUMPING PLANT (Original print, U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, Yakima, WA., ca. 1915)
5. Photocopy of Historic Construction Photograph. PUMPING PLANT AND STILLING POND. (Original print, U. S. Bureau of Reclamation, Yakima, WA., ca. 1915)
6. Photocopy of Historic Plan. PUMPING PLANT (Original plan, U. S. Bureau of Reclamation, Yakima, WA., December 21, 1914)
7. PUMPING PLANT, SOUTHWEST AND SOUTHEAST SIDES, AND STILLING POND
8. SOUTHEAST SIDE OF PUMPING PLANT, TAILRACE, DISCHARGE CHUTE, AND BAFFLE CHAMBER
9. NORTHWEST ELEVATION
10. NORTHEAST ELEVATION
11. SOUTHWEST AND SOUTHEAST ELEVATIONS. NOTE 240-HORSEPOWER TURBINE NEAR DOOR
12. INTERIOR, SMALL TURBINE AND LARGE TURBINE (Left to right)
Back to Outlook, Washington