Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Washington

>

Fort Lewis

>

Madigan Hospital, Bounded by Wilson & McKinley Avenues & Garfield & , Fort Lewis, Pierce County, WA



B&W Photos

HB1222572
1943 Plan View Of 'fort Lewis Station Hospital, Section No

HB1222573
Photocopy Of An Aerial Plan View Photograph Of Madigan Hospital Taken On August 9, 1987

HB1222574
Photocopy Of An Aerial Plan View Photograph Of Madigan Hospital Taken On September 28, 1992


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Bounded by Wilson & McKinley Avenues & Garfield &, Fort Lewis, WA

Find maps of Fort Lewis, WA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS WA-202
Building/structure dates: 1944 initial construction
Original documentation listed this structure as being in Tacoma, WA. It is actually in Fort Lewis, WA.

Significance: Madigan General Hospital is a well-preserved example of the semi-permanent emergency hospital plan type, Mobilization General Hospital Type A, developed by the War Department and constructed for emergency purposes during the later part of WWII. Completed in August 1944, Madigan General Hospital is the only one of twelve hospitals of this type to have continued to serve as a military hospital beyond 1951. It continued to provide extensive medical services, as constructed, adapted, expanded, and modernized until 1992, when the new Madigan Army Medical Center was completed.

Subjects
Military Hospitals
Medical Aspects Of War
Military Medicine


Related Names
Sawyer, Philip
Steinbrueck, Victor E.
Boespflug, John F.


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. 1943 Plan View of 'Fort Lewis Station Hospital, Section No. 5.' Drawn by V. Steinbrueck for J.C. Boespflug Construction Co. July 23, 1943. HABS 8x10' negative was made from an 8.5 x 11' copy on card stock in the collection of the Community Library, Madigan Army Medical Center, Fort Lewis, WA.
2. Photocopy of an aerial plan view photograph of Madigan Hospital taken on August 9, 1987. HABS negative is a 4x5' copy negative made from original black and white photograph in the collection of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Seattle District Office, Seattle, WA.
3. Photocopy of an aerial plan view photograph of Madigan Hospital taken on September 28, 1992. HABS negative is a 4x5' copy negative made from original color photograph in the collection of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Seattle District Office, Seattle, WA.
oblique view looking southwest at east side of building
oblique view looking northwest at east side of building


Back to Fort Lewis, Washington