Ben Thresher's Mill, State Aid No. 1, Barnet, Caledonia County, VT
Photo Caption Pages
State Aid No. 1, Barnet, VT
Find maps of Barnet, VT
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER VT-10
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-1, FN-2).
Building/structure dates: 1872 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1915 subsequent work
Significance: Alexander Jack built the mill as a Dye & Print Works in 1872. J. Loren Judkins established a Wagon Shop in 1893 and added the Blacksmith Shop c. 1895. The timber frame and plank dam is intact. The 1911 Rodney Hunt horizontal turbine still powers wood & metal working machinery. A Boomer & Boschert hydraulic cider press installed c. 1915, is still in place. Ben Thresher began working in 1941 and acquired the mill in 1947.
Johnson, John P., Historian
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. Front (southwest) elevation from road (State Aid No.1)
2. SE and SW elevations: view looking north showing Woodworking Mill and Blacksmith Shop
3. Side (southeast) elevation of Blacksmith Shop and Woodworking Mill. Timber frame and plank dam in right background; Ben Thresher's house in left background.
4. View looking southeast down Stevens River showing NW elevation of Cider Mill and Woodworking Mill
5. NE and NW elevations: view looking south over mill pond and dam
6. Rear (northeast) elevation of Woodworking Mill from Stevens River
7. View looking norhtwest along rear of Woodworking Mill toward timber frame and plank dam
8. View looking west at rear of Cider Mill and SW end of dam. Details of dam construction.
9. View looking northwest up Stevens River toward dam
10. Front (southwest) elevation: partial view of Cider Mill and Woodworking Mill. Steam box for bending wood visible on roof of Cider Mill; wood-framed table saw visible in open doorway; cordwood saw in lower right beneath windows.
11. Attic (third floor in Woodworking Mill): view looking northwest. Note floor hatch which closes over stairway on left near chimney
12. Wagon Repair and Paint Shop (second floor in Woodworking Mill): view looking east showing paint storage on left and old living quarters on right
13. Woodworking Mill (first floor): view looking east from front door; wheel horse set up in foreground
14. Woodworking Mill (first floor): view looking south; wood-framed table saw in foreground
15. Woodworking Mill (first floor): view looking northwest along front wall from doorway to blacksmith shop
16. Woodworking Mill (basement): view looking east showing Rodney Hunt water turbine and various line shafts
17. Woodworking Mill (basement): view looking north showing Ames Iron Works steam boiler; note turbine control handle in middle right of photo
18. Blacksmith Shop (first floor): view looking north; trip hammer and coal bin in background, shears and swage block in foreground
19. Blacksmith Shop (first floor): view looking southeast toward forge
20. Blacksmith Shop (first floor): view looking west at heating stove and tire shrinker
21. Generator Room (basement beneath Blacksmith Shop): view looking north showing remains of 1923 six-cylinder Studebaker engine and a dynamo
22. Cider Mill (first floor): view looking east at Fairbanks Morse scale with apple hopper
23. Cider Mill (basement): View looking northwest; cider pump and hydraulic pump on left, cider press on right
24. Cider Mill (basement): view looking west at apple cider pump (left) and hydraulic pump (right) for cider press
25. Ben Thresher's House: view looking northwest along road (State Aid No.1) in front of mill; parts to new water turbine in foreground
Back to Barnet, Vermont