Canal Warehouse, Scottsville, Albemarle County, VA
Photo Caption Pages
Find maps of Scottsville, VA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS VA-1331
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N121).
Building/structure dates: 1836 initial construction
Significance: The Canal Warehouse, located in Scottsville, Virginia, was built in approximately 1844. It has associations with the James River & Kanawha Canal, the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad, and the commerce of the town. This brick building is an example of vernacular warehouse construction. It survived General Sheridan's wartime raid on the town.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. EXTERIOR VIEW OF THE EAST ELEVATION
2. EXTERIOR VIEW OF THE NORTH ELEVATION
3. EXTERIOR VIEW OF THE ENTRANCE DOOR
4. EXTERIOR VIEW OF THE WEST ELEVATION, LEFT DOOR
5. EXTERIOR VIEW OF THE SOUTH ELEVATION
6. EXTERIOR VIEW OF THE UPPER PORTION OF THE SOUTH ELEVATION
7. EXTERIOR VIEW OF THE UPPER PORTION OF THE SOUTH ELEVATION
Back to Scottsville, Virginia