Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Virginia

>

Richmond

>

James River & Kanawha Canal, Three Mile Locks, Pumphouse Drive, Richmond, Independent City, VA



See 21 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB1165887
East End Of First Gran Division Lock 2, Looking North

HB1165888
View Of Lock 2, Looking East

HB1165889
View Of Outlet Of First Grand Division Lock 2, Looking North.


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Pumphouse Drive, Richmond, VA

Find maps of Richmond, VA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER VA-24
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-8).
Building/structure dates: 1827 initial construction
Significance: The Three Mile Locks (1 & 2) were part of the First Grand Division of the James River and Kanawha Canal, that ran from Richmond to Lynchburg, Virginia. These locks were in very good condition when surveyed in 1971 and, as a result, became excellent examples of early 19th century canal construction. / The Three Mile Locks, three miles west of the Richmond Basin, were built in 1827 to replace a pair of smaller locks built in 1809. The handsome cut stone locks, 15 x 100 feet, remain to this day in perfect condition.

Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. EAST END OF FIRST GRAN DIVISION LOCK 2, LOOKING NORTH. BODY OF WATER TO THE SOUTH IS A FEEDER CANAL BUILT TO SUPPLY WATER TO A PUMPHOUSE BUILT IN 1883.
2. VIEW OF LOCK 2, LOOKING EAST. FEEDER TO PUMPHOUSE IS VISIBLE BEHIND LOCK.
3. VIEW OF OUTLET OF FIRST GRAND DIVISION LOCK 2, LOOKING NORTH.


Back to Richmond, Virginia