Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Virginia

>

Richmond National Battlefield Park

>

Rural Plains, 7273 Studley Road (State Route 606), Richmond National Battlefield Park, Hanover County, VA



See 19 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB1155670

HB1155671

HB1155672


Data Pages


Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
7273 Studley Road (State Route 606), Richmond National Battlefield Park, VA

Find maps of Richmond National Battlefield Park, VA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS VA-753
Building/structure dates: 1724 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1784 subsequent work
Significance: The Shelton family's dwelling house known as Rural Plains is an important example of early colonial Virginia architecture with its gambrel roof, the use of Flemish bond with glazed headers and rubbed brick details (such as in the jack arches), putlog holes, dormer windows, entry porch with chamber above. The last feature is redundant in function given the central-passage floor plan. Rural Plains is also important in the social history of early Virginia, with the Shelton family holding important local posts, such as with the vestry of St. Paul's Parish, and marrying into the broader community, including John Shelton's marriage to Eleanor Parks, the daughter of Virginia Gazette founder William Parks, and Sarah Shelton's marriage in 1754 to Patrick Henry. The house and surrounding acreage remained in Shelton stewarsdhip, through the Civil War wherein Union Major Winfield S. Hancock established his headquarters in the house in May of 1864 and up to 2001 when William Shelton, Jr., conveyed the property to a foundation. In 2006 the property was transferred to the National Park Service.

Related Names
Richmond National Battlefield Park
Shelton, William Jr.
Shelton, John
Wells, Camille PhD., Historian
Blaakman, Michael, Field Team


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Richmond National Battlefield Park, Virginia