Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Virginia

>

Manassas vicinity

>

Henry House, Sudley Road, Manassas, Prince William County, VA



Drawings


Item Title


Location
Sudley Road, Manassas vicinity, VA

Find maps of Manassas, VA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS VA-1363
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N702).
Building/structure dates: 1812 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1870 demolished
Building/structure dates: 1870 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1883 subsequent work
Significance: The first house on the Henry Hill site was built by Thomas King in 1812. In 1822 the property was acquired by the Henry family. On 21 July 1861 the First Battle of Bull Run was fought in the immediate vicinity of the house. Family matriarch Judith Henry was killed, the only civilian casualty of the battle. On 13 Jun 1865 the nation's first Civil War monument was dedicated by Union veterans adjacent to the house site. The present house, a two-story, gable-end, vernacular dwelling, was constructed in 1870 partially overlapping the original house site. Built of wood frame construction on a fieldstone foundation, the Henry House originally consisted of two rooms downstairs and two rooms upstairs, with an external chimney centered on the north gable. By 1883 an addition had been constructed at the north end of the house, adding another room to each floor, and including a cellar. By the 1890s the Henry family was charging visitors for tours of the battlefield. The house was bought by the Sons of Confederate Veterans in 1922 for use as a visitors center. In 1940 the Henry House was donated to the National Park Service, to become part of Manassas Battlefield Park.

Subjects
Farming
Farmhouses
Wooden Buildings


Related Names
King, Thomas
Henry, Judith
Sons Of Confederate Veterans
Hernandez, Naomi, Delineator
Byrdy, Edward L., Delineator
Schara, Mark, Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Manassas vicinity, Virginia