Oatlands Historic District, U.S. Route 15, Leesburg, Loudoun County, VA
See 21 maps of this location
U.S. Route 15, Leesburg vicinity, VA
Find maps of Leesburg, VA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS VA-949
Significance: The community of Oatlands developed from a 2,700 acre grant deeded in 1798 by Councillor Robert Carter of Nomini Hall to his son, George Carter. Oatlands Mansion was constructed c. 1810 in conjunction with the brick and stone barn, various outbuildings, and a mill for George Carter who developed the property into a major Loudoun County agricultural center. Though it survived the Civil War, by 1876 financial difficulties induced George Carter II to begin selling portions of the property. At that time the Church of Our Savior was built, replacing a temporary chapel within the mill complex with its general store, post office, blacksmith's shop, and several residences. In the 1880's the Mountain Gap School was opened to the public. The Carter family finally sold in 1897 the core sixty acres including the mansion, which were purchased in 1903 by Mr. and Mrs. William Corcoran Eustis who extensively remodeled the mansion, the outbuildings, and the grounds and reassembled much of the original tract. Fire destroyed the Oatlands mill in 1905 and in 1934 the general store and toll bridge over Goose Creek were demolished for Highway 15. In 1965 Mrs. David E. Finley (Margaret Eustis) and Ann Eustis Emmett donated Oatlands to the National Trust for Historic Preservation in memory of their parents. This was followed in 1973 by a similar donation of the mill site and the donation by Washington and Lee University of the school.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Leesburg vicinity, Virginia