Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Virginia

>

Leesburg vicinity

>

Goose Creek & Little River Navigation, Double Lock, Mouth of Goose Creek at Potomac River, Leesburg, Loudoun County, VA



See 16 maps of this location


Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
Mouth of Goose Creek at Potomac River, Leesburg vicinity, VA

Find maps of Leesburg, VA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER VA-39
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-15).
Building/structure dates: 1850 initial construction
Significance: The double lock at Clapham's Mill is the most important structure on the Goose Creek and Little River Navigation, a 20-mile river improvement project chartered in 1832 and dissolved in 1857. The purpose of the navigation was to provide lock-and-dam, or slackwater, navigation to connect landlocked portions of Loudon, Fauquier, and Prince William counties in Virginia with the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal on the eastern bank of the Potomac River in Maryland. Of the nine locks, four canal sections and four dams constructed as part of this improvement, Clapham's Double Lock is the best preserved and one of the most significant canal structures in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Related Names
McNeil, Gen. William Gibbs
Alexander, J. H.
Roach, James


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Leesburg vicinity, Virginia