Jamestown Island Loop Road, Jamestown Island, Jamestown, James City County, VA
See 15 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Jamestown Island, Jamestown, VA
Find maps of Jamestown, VA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER VA-116
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N409).
Building/structure dates: 1955 initial construction
Significance: Completed in 1957, the Jamestown island loop road was the last road-building contract associated with the completion of the Colonial Parkway. Considered a "wilderness road," the five mile circuit is designed to provide a sense of the primitive isolation of the seventeenth century frontier. Along the short (three mile) and the full circuit, interpretive paintings by Sidney King depict the first settlers use and adaptation to the land. These paintings are representative of 1950s interpretive programs of the NPS at Colonial National Historical Park.
Bureau Of Public Roads
W H Scott, Incorporated
Adams Construction Company
Association For The Preservation Of Virginia Antiq
Barney, Louise J.
Bennett, Michael G., Historian
Bielecka, Magdalena, Delineator
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. JAMESTOWN ISLAND LOOP ROAD, SOUTHWEST VIEW OF FIRST WOODEN BRIDGE.
2. VIEW TO EAST ALONG JAMESTOWN ISLAND LOOP ROAD.
3. GENERAL VIEW ALONG JAMESTOWN ISLAND LOOP ROAD.
4. GENERAL VIEW FROM JAMESTOWN ISLAND LOOP ROAD OVERLOOK TO EAST.
5. VIEW OF WOODEN BRIDGE AND CARS ON JAMESTOWN ISLAND LOOP ROAD.
6. VIEW OF WOODEN ROADWAY BRIDGE ON JAMESTOWN ISLAND LOOP ROAD.
7. JAMESTOWN ISLAND LOOP ROAD, VIEW TO WEST OF BRICK MAKING SIGN (STOP 1).
8. JAMESTOWN ISLAND LOOP ROAD, VIEW TO NORTHEAST OF WINE MAKING SIGN (STOP 5). NOTE WICKET MADE OF VINES IN FOREGROUND.
9. JAMESTOWN ISLAND LOOP ROAD, VIEW TO NORTHWEST OF LUMBER AND COOPER SIGNS (STOP 10).
10. JAMESTOWN ISLAND LOOP ROAD, VIEW TO NORTH OF BOAT BUILDING SIGN (STOP 11).
Back to Jamestown, Virginia