Well House, 1009 Monroe Street, Herndon, Fairfax County, VA
See 23 maps of this location
1009 Monroe Street, Herndon, VA
Find maps of Herndon, VA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS VA-1386
Building/structure dates: 1930 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1943 initial construction
This documentation was completed for a class at the University of Virginia & subsequently donated to the HABS collection.
Significance: Although no firm construction date can be applied, the Well House was built no later than 1942 when sources note at that time the well house was not working and that the Riddle family lived on the property. In 1869 Lyman Ballou bought 165 acres in what would become the town of Herndon; Ballou sold twenty acres from this tract in 1878 to Ferdinand Stephenson who built the original portion of the house two decades later. His daughter Maltida inherited the property in 1906. By 1970 the twenty acres had been reduced to one. On the property is the main house, begun in 1898 and added onto over the years, the well house, a two-car garage with shop space and overhead storage, and a storage shed built in 2002. The shed is attached to the rear of the garage.
Yengling, Mike, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Herndon, Virginia