Piney Branch Water Mill, 1212 Pope's Head Road, Fairfax, Fairfax County, VA
1212 Pope's Head Road, Fairfax vicinity, VA
Find maps of Fairfax, VA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS VA-741
Significance: Piney Branch Mill, also known as Barnes' Mill, Robey's Mill, Stafford Mill, Hope Park Mill and Foxes' Mill, is located along Piney Branch at Popes Head Road, SE of the city of Fairfax. Originally part of the Hope Park estate of Edward Payne and, later, David Stuart, the mill property was sole in 1838. The sales record is the first official mention of a grist mill on the site, but the exact date of construction has not been determined. Gabe Robey was the last owner (1896-1906) to operate the neighborhood flour mill on a commercial basis, but the water wheel was rebuilt in 1935 and the mill was occasionally opened for demonstration purposes. The mill machinery, based on the Oliver Evans system, is complete except for the overshot water wheel, hopper shoe and damsel. The original board and batten siding was replaced in 1963. In addition to the mill, there exists a miller's house (A), log spring house (B), smokehouse (C), and cabin (D), and a tenant's house. The mill property is privately owned.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Fairfax vicinity, Virginia