Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Virginia

>

East Lawn

>

University of Virginia, Pavilion VIII, East Lawn, Charlottesville, VA



Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
Pavilion VIII, East Lawn, VA

Find maps of East Lawn, VA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS VA-193-L
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-346).
Building/structure dates: 1822 initial construction
National Register Number: 70000865
0.1987
Significance: Pavilion VIII is one of the ten pavilions, along with the Rotunda, which make up Thomas Jefferson's Academical Village. Each of the pavilions is different and was intended to serve as architectural models of good taste to the gentlemen attending "The University." The classical orders of the pavilion's were derived from Andrea Palladio's Four books of Architecture and Freart de Chambray's Parallele de l'Architecture. Jefferson designed all five of the pavilions on the east lawn in fifteen days in mid-June 1819. The corinthian order of Pavilion VIII was adapted from Diocletion's Baths as illustrated by Chambray. This adaptation of classical models to American architecture and education reveal Jefferson's thoughts on the importance of education to maintaining freedom in our self governing republic.

Related Names
Jefferson, Thomas
Livermon, C. Randolph, Delineator
Boehmcke, Brian E., Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to East Lawn, Virginia