University of Virginia, Pavilion VI, East Lawn, Charlottesville, VA
Pavilion VI, East Lawn, VA
Find maps of East Lawn, VA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS VA-193-O
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-363).
Building/structure dates: 1822 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1831 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1860 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1950 subsequent work
National Register Number: 70000865
Significance: Designed by Thomas Jefferson and constructed between 1819 and 1822, Pavilion VI is one of ten pavilions located in the academical village of the University of Virginia. By referencing Classical architectural models for each of the pavilions, Jefferson envisioned the buildings to be teaching tools that would cultivate and improve the individual mind and create a community of scholars. Freart de Chambray's interpretation of the Ionic Order at the Theater of Marcellus in Rome was the model selected by Jefferson for the entablature and pediment of Pavilion VI.
Kidder, D. Jeffrey, Delineator
Williams, Steven E., Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to East Lawn, Virginia