Old Courthouse, Courthouse Green, Williamsburg, VA
See 19 maps of this location
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Courthouse Green, VA
Find maps of Courthouse Green, VA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS VA-528
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-214).
Building/structure dates: 1772
Significance: The Courthouse, built to serve both Williamsburg and James City County, was built between 1770 and 1772. The building housed a courtroom and rooms for justices and juries. The various dimensions of the building are geometrically related. Columns to support the Classical, cantilevered pediment were apparently intended but never installed. The designer is not known, but circumstantial evidence indicates that it was Robert Smith of Philadelphia. The roof and interior of the courthouse were gutted by fire in 1911. The structure was rebuilt immediately within the old walls, with columns under the pediment. In 1932 the building was restored by Colonial Williamsburg, the present owner.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Courthouse Green, Virginia