Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Virginia

>

Charlottesville vicinity

>

Rockfield Grocery, Off of Route 250, Charlottesville, Albemarle County, VA



See 16 maps of this location


Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
Off of Route 250, Charlottesville vicinity, VA

Find maps of Charlottesville, VA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS VA-1381
Building/structure dates: 1935 initial construction
This documentation was completed for a class at the University of Virginia & subsequently donated to the HABS collection.

Significance: The store was constructed in 1935 as a grocery. At that time, it was owned by G.F. Ray. The store sold flour and feed in addition to general merchandise. Simple in its massing, the store is rectangular in shape and is covered by a gable roof. Attached to the front of the main rectangular mass of the building is an entrance canopy. The gambrel roof of the entrance canopy is supported by two log columns. The building sits on a concrete foundation. The land around the building slopes to the north and west. The foundation is not visible at the southeast corner of the building, but is visible at the three other building corners. The entire building is clad in clapboard siding and the roofing material is standing seam metal. The building also features double-hung, sash windows. There are two windows on the north elevation, two on the west, and two on the east. There are no windows in the south elevation. The north windows are glazed with four-over-four lights, while the others are glazed with six-over-six lights. The building is heated by an interior, brick chimney located in the middle of the east side of the main gable roof. There is only one entry to the building and it is located on the north facade. It is raised above the level of the entrance canopy and is accessible by a concrete step followed by a step to a wood threshold. Two windows covered with shutters flank the entry door. The shutters feature an awning type mechanism that allows the shutters to swing up.

Subjects
Food Industry
Commerce
Feed Stores


Related Names
Ray, G. F.
Harlan, Gabrielle, Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Charlottesville vicinity, Virginia