Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Virginia > Charlottesville vicinity > D. S. Tavern, U.S. Route 250 West, Charlottesville, Albemarle County, VA



See 16 maps of this location


Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
U.S. Route 250 West, Charlottesville vicinity, VA

Find maps of Charlottesville, VA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS VA-1019
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-271).
Building/structure dates: 1741 initial construction
Significance: The building is located where the D.S. Tree and zero milepost stood along the Three-Notched Road which was a major thoroughfare from Richmond to the Valley. The building is believed to have been built originally as a claims house which then evolved to an 'ordinary' and finally a farmhouse. It was a landmark due to its location at the crossroads of the Three-Notched Road and the Dick Woods Road which were very early and well-used roads in that area. 'Ordinaries' were often owned by 'men of Consequence' and there is a deed which shows that the D.S. Tavern was at one time owned by Chief Justice John Marshall.

Subjects
Taverns (inns)


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Charlottesville vicinity, Virginia