Arlington National Cemetery>
Old Potting House, Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, VA
Arlington National Cemetery, VA
Find maps of Arlington National Cemetery, VA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS VA-1342
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N156).
Building/structure dates: 1880 initial construction
Significance: The Old Potting House was built in 1880 by the United States Army Corps of Engineers. This historic structure was at one time adjoined to a cemetery greenhouse which was demolished, for it occupied the north historic Lee vegetable garden. It is a two-story brick building that sits approximately 200 feet north of the Lee Mansion. It measures 22 feet by 32 feet and has a slate hip roof, an ornamented ridgeline, small gable vents on each side, and brick pilasters creating 2 bays on the short side and 3 bays on the long. Many fell during the Civil War - brothers, husbands, sons. Those wishing to pay their respects did so, often with flowers which, in turn, were obtained by the nearby potting - and greenhouses. These structures were significant not only for their provisions but because they were symptomatic of a period of mourning and reflections. Thus, unwittingly, these structures served as a medium to cope not only with the loss of a life, but perhaps with the loss of a way of life.
War (Civil War)
U.S. Army Corps Of Engineers
Ramos, Judy, Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Arlington National Cemetery, Virginia