Arlington National Cemetery>
Arlington House, North Slave Quarters, Lee Drive, Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, VA
Lee Drive, Arlington National Cemetery, VA
Find maps of Arlington National Cemetery, VA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS VA-443-B
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N950).
Building/structure dates: 1803 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1930 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1960 subsequent work
Significance: The North Slave Quarters at Arlington House is one of a pair of similar buildings, built west of and perpendicular to the main house, and defining the work yard at the rear of the house. The Quarters was built of brick masonry construction on a fieldstone foundation, with wood framing supporting the roof. The exterior walls are finished with both smooth and pebble-dash stucco. The building was designed in a Classical style to complement the main house, and its exterior is distinguished with blind arches and engaged columns. Although the date of construction of the Quarters is unknown, stylistic and construction similarities suggest that it is contemporaneous with the main house (1803-18).
Conservation & Restoration
Custis, George W. Parke.
Lee, Robert E.
Schara, Mark, Field Team
Gibble, Michael, Field Team
Falwell, Kathryn, Field Team
Most, Jennifer, Field Team
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Arlington National Cemetery, Virginia