Latham House, 1200 North Quaker Lane, Alexandria, Independent City, VA
See 29 maps of this location
1200 North Quaker Lane, Alexandria, VA
Find maps of Alexandria, VA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS VA-1368
Building/structure dates: 1947 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1857 subsequent work
National Register Number: 66000928
Significance: While lacking in historical or architectural significance, Latham House is early to mid-19th century vernacular architecture in the original section and late 19th century vernacular architecture in the second section, the frontispiece. / In 1839, Episcopal High School was founded on an 80-acre tract of land just west of the colonial port of Alexandria, Va. School doors opened with 35 boys under the leadership of The Rev. William N. Pendleton and three assistant heads. As the first high school in Virginia, Episcopal became known throughout the South as "The High School," a name by which it is still known today. Latham House is located north of the administrative building, Hoxton Hall, and its attached academic building. While lacking in historical or architectural significance, Latham House does reflect early to mid-19th century vernacular architecture, with a late 19th century frontispiece.
War (Civil War)
Law, Eliza Parke
Alexander, William T.
Episcopal High School
Lebovich, William, Historian
Ventola, Dean, Delineator
Lebovich, William, Photographer
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Alexandria, Virginia