Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Virginia

>

713 Park Street

>

Judge Watson House, 713 Park Street, Charlottesville, VA



See 16 maps of this location


Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
713 Park Street, VA

Find maps of 713 Park Street, VA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS VA-1076
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-267).
Significance: In 1861 Judge Egbert R. Watson who read law under James Monroe's son-in-law Judge Hay and was a personal friend of the former president purchased 2 3/10 acres from Richard K. Mead. The lot was off the southern side of his Meadlands estate. 1862 tax records show an assessment of $500.00 for improvements on Watson's property. In that same year an addition was constructed on the west side of the house. Judge Watson resided here until his death in 1887. During the Civil War a northern colonel and his orderly resided in Watson's house. Judge Watson's heirs conveyed the property to George Rives in 1887. Upon George Rives' death in 1903, the house passed to his widow Sallie. It became the Episcopal Rectory in 1919. In 1971 the Trustees of Christ Episcopal Church sold the house to the present owners, Mr. and Mrs. William Isaccs.

Related Names
Watson, Judge. Egbert


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to 713 Park Street, Virginia