Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Virginia

>

410 West Francis Street

>

Griffin House, 410 West Francis Street, Williamsburg, VA



See 18 maps of this location


Data Pages


Drawings


Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
410 West Francis Street, VA

Find maps of 410 West Francis Street, VA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS VA-1008
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-217).
Building/structure dates: 1770 initial construction
Significance: This unrestored brick dwelling house was built by Colonel William Allen just prior to 1770. William Byrd III of Westover acquired the house in 1771 and used it as his house in town until his death in 1777. Samuel Griffin, for whom the house has been named, was the next owner until 1810. There were numerous owners in the nineteenth century, among them the Marshalls who made alterations. The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation acquired the building in 1928 and has subsequently used it for apartments and offices.

Related Names
Allen, Col. William
Griffin, Samuel


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to 410 West Francis Street, Virginia