Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Virginia

>

409 East High Street

>

Albemarle County Jail, 409 East High Street, Charlottesville, VA



See 16 maps of this location


Drawings


Item Title


Location
409 East High Street, VA

Find maps of 409 East High Street, VA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS VA-1349
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N643).
Building/structure dates: 1876 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1880 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1886 subsequent work
0.1996
Significance: The Ablemarle County Jail, located one block north of Charlottesville's Courthouse Square, was constructed to replace an earlier jail building which was located on Courthouse Square directly west of the courthouse building. The two story stone building was constructed in 1876 with stones taken from the earlier jail. The brick annex and jail yard was added in 1880 and the jailer's residence added in 1886. Charlottesville architect George Wallace Spooner designed and built the stone jail and the jailer's house while the architect of the brick annex is unknown. The jail was the site where former Charlottesville mayor Samuel McCue was held in 1905 after being tried and convicted for the murder of his wife, as well as being the site of McCue's subsequent execution by hanging, the last legal hanging in the state of Virginia. This accretion of buildings stands as a complete picture of the evolution of penitentiary facilities from the middle part of the nineteenth century into the twentieth century. The Ablemarle County Sheriff's Department has owned and maintained the jail complex since its construction. This facility served as the only penitentiary in Albemarle County until 1974 when a new penitentiary was constructed south of Charlottesville. The jail complex has been used as a storage facility for the County since it closed in 1974.

Subjects
Brick Buildings
Stone Buildings
Jails


Related Names
Morris
Spooner, George Wallace
McCue, Mayor. Samuel
Smith, Lisa Ann, Delineator
Fay, Daniel Wilson, Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to 409 East High Street, Virginia